dueldeckchampions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the champions of duel deck

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TOP 10 of 2010

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jolly Johnny
Admin
Jolly Johnny

TOP 10 of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: TOP 10 of 2010   TOP 10 of 2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

This might change because I still haven't seen Black Swan or 127 hours but here are my top 10:
10. True Grit
Directed by: Joel and Ethan Coen
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Hailee Stanfield, Josh Brolin
Plot: After a young girl's father is killed she enlists the help of a sherrif and a texas ranger to help her track them down.
Why it's good: Even though its not technically a remake, the new version could stand toe to toe with the 60s original. Great razorsharp dialouge as always from the Coens, and Hailee Stanfield manages to make the rest of the allstar cast look bad.
Clip: Texas Ranger

9. Toy Story 3
Directed by: Lee Unkrich
Starring: Voices of Tim Allen, Tom Hanks, Joan Cusack, Ned Beatty, Don Rickles, Michael Keaton
Plot: Buzz and Woody are sent to a daycare now that Andy's getting too old
Why it's good: Another strong Pixar film, not as great as Up but still packing a whallop and containing that nostalgia factor.
Clip: playtime

8. Winter's Bone
Directed by: Debra Granick
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, John Hawkes, Shelley Waggener, Garret Dillahunt
Plot: A young woman who's mom is catatonic and who's dad is a meth dealer must raise her two younger siblings on her own. Problems arise when her dad goes missing and a bail bondsman comes to claim the house. Now she must find her dad before its too late.
Why it's good: Does a good job of showing backwoods missouri, and is really understated and contains a great performance from Jennifer Lawrence.
Clip: trailer

7. The Fighter
Directed by: David O Russel
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo
Plot: A young aspiring boxer (Mark Wahlberg) must deal with his crack addict brother and trainer (Christian Bale) before he can succed in the ring.
Why it's good: Pretty much Christian Bale makes the movie. Melissa Leo and Amy Adam's ass are both great too though, for different reasons.
Clip: Rebound

6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Directed by: Edgar Wright
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong, Kiernan Culkin, Jason Schwartzman, Allison Pill, Mark Webber, Anna Kendrick and Chris Evans
Plot: After Scott Pilgrim starts fake dating a 16 year old, he falls in love with a roller skating American delivery girl. The only catch is that she has seven evil exes that he must first defeat in battle in order for them to go out.
Why it's good: Not only was it a good adaptation of the books (albiet leaving some stuff out), Scott Pilgrim delivered the visuals as well as nonstop hilarious humor and videogame references.
Clip: Evil Ex fight #4

5. Inception
Directed by: Chris Nolan
Starring: Leonardo Dicaprio, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Marion Coitilard and Michael Caine.
Plot: A team of dream infiltrators pull off one big last job so that Cobb can go back to his family
Why it's good: Pretty awesome block buster made more awesome by a good cast and the creative mind of Chris Nolan
Clip: zero gravity fight scene

4. Kick-Ass
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz, Mark Strong, Christopher Mintz Platz, and Nicholas Cage
Plot: A young man decides to become a superhero, with disastrous results.
Why it's good: A brilliant satire of the superhero genre, Kickass is brimming with self reference and great scenes.
Clip: Coming out of the closet

3. Shutter Island
Directed by: Martin Scorcese
Starring: Leonardo Dicaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley
Plot: When Teddy Daniels (Leonardo Dicaprio) is sent on a routine assingment to a mental hospital, he begins to question his own sanity.
Why it's good: I think this may be Martin Scorcese's most criminally underrated movie since Last Temptation of the Christ. It's like whenever he tries something that doesn't involve the mafia people ignore it. I loved it.
Clip: Dream Sequence

2. The Social Network
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer, Justin Timberlake, Rooney Mara
Plot: After Mark Zuckerberg is rejected he goes on a journey that leads him into creating one of the most profitable franchises of our generation, Facebook.
Why it's good: David Fincher bounces back from Benjamin Button to make a movie that lends comparison to his other two masterpieces, Fight Club and Seven. The cast is great, the score is great, the script is great, and the direction is great. Just a well made movie.
Clip: Henley Sequence

1. Enter the Void
Directed by: Gaspard Noe
Starring: Nathaniel Brown, Paz de La Huerta
Plot: After discovering a new type of drug at a Japanese techno bar called Enter the Void, a young man begins to question his very existence, brought back to reality only by the incestuous relationship with his sister.
Why it's good: This movie was crazy and exactly what I like. It took chances, had a great international cast, and mixed weird ass scifi with even weirder drama.
CLIP: Opening credits sequence.
Back to top Go down
https://dueldeckchampions.forumotion.com
Jolly Johnny
Admin
Jolly Johnny

TOP 10 of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOP 10 of 2010   TOP 10 of 2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Runner ups: Machete, Piranha 3D, The Expendables, Mother, Greenberg
Back to top Go down
Jolly Johnny
Admin
Jolly Johnny

TOP 10 of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOP 10 of 2010   TOP 10 of 2010 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 pm

And once again my top 10 coincides well with Quentin Tarantino's annual top 20

But I make it a point not to read his top 20 until I've made my own top 10 though because they are almost always pretty close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TOP 10 of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TOP 10 of 2010   TOP 10 of 2010 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOP 10 of 2010
Page 1 of 1